What are Welsh cakes? Just read a tweet from @goodappetite saying they were better than scones. Burning to know since I haven't made breakfast yet and it's a cold and rainy am.

Meg is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 4 years ago
Me_and_sarah

Welsh_cakes They are a type of Pancake it seems. There are many different varieties. Just go to Google.com and type in Welsh cakes, so informative and helpful. No one answered so I looked it up for you. Good Luck, I am going to try them this weekend.

Canposter

I have a very old recipe for Welsh Cakes.(I collect and update old recipes...) The biggest difference between Welsh cakes and scones is that Welsh Cakes are fried.

Here's the recipe:

4 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
grated rind of half a lemon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup currants
1/2 cup whole milk
2 eggs

Mix the dry and wet separately.
Add together in thirds. Toward the final add you will have to use your hands and slightly knead.
Flour hands and surface and rolling pin.
Roll to 1/4 inch thick then cut with with biscuit cutter or juice glass.

In large frying pan, heat enough oil to coat pan with about a 1/4 inch on the bottom.
Fry on each side until golden brown.
Cool.

Regional variant: Some folks coat them with confectioners sugar when cooled.

Canposter

Oh, and forgot to add. In my experience, they are less like a pancake and more like a fried scone. They have a denser texture than a pancake.