🔎

• 5

• 1772

A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta is the cheesecloth the general type of cheesecloth or a muslin cheese cloth? Thx!

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Creamy Homemade Ricotta" from Jennifer Perillo. It says:

"Gently ladle the curds into the cheesecloth-lined strainer (this helps produce a fluffier, creamier curd, than pouring it into the strainer). When all the curds have been spooned into the bowl, pull the cheesecloth up the sides to loosely cover the ricotta in the strainer. Let sit for 10 minutes to drain (this will yield a very moist ricotta. If using for a cake recipe, you may want to let it drain longer for a drier consistency)."

Food52_01-10-12-6879
Dsc00202

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I believe this recipe uses your typical cheesecloth, not the thicker muslin kind (the white kind with the loose weave, if that makes sense.)

Kandm

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Here's a recent foodpickle thread about cheesecloth:

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

JayKayTee added almost 3 years ago

Kmucci - yikes this thread lends me to believe I could use just about anything. The diversity in answers made me laugh. Baking, cooking, and, I guess cheese making, are a science but not an exact one. That being said as long as the whey can drip through the chosen cloth I'm good to go. Thanks for the help farro10 & Kmucci

Scan0004
susan g added almost 3 years ago

Whatever you use, be sure it is food-safe. If you're not sure, wash first.

Jenniferperillo2010bio
Jennifer Perillo added almost 3 years ago

JayKayTee—actually you don't want to use the very loose-weave muslin, as the curds on the bottom could get stuck in there (you don't want to waste a bit!). Other than that, yes, there are lots of alternatives to cheesecloth. I bought some very lightweight cloth towels (muslin-like fabric) form Sur La Table and love them because they can be washed and reused—just be sure to wash them with fragrance-free detergent and let them air dry (or just don't use a dryer sheet).

And in a pinch, I've even used heavy-weight, bleach-free paper towels!