A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Barley Bread

Bread_buttermilk_barley_whole

I have a question about the recipe "Buttermilk Barley Bread" from AntoniaJames. Looking for a good source for barley flour, barley flakes, and gluten?

asked by Midge over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

Bob's Red Mill has it (you could order online.) I'd bet you could get it at WF as well.

Summer_2010_1048

Thanks hla! I scoured WF today and couldn't find it so guess I'll order it from Bob's online.

Gator_cake

Bob's Red Mill is a really cool company, so you should be happy to use them. Bob just recently retired, and when he did he literally gave the company to his employees! How amazing is that??

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I just called one of Whole Foods Markets in Boston (Charles River store). They have barley flour, and barley flakes (the latter they said in the cereal aisle . . . I told the guy that it looks like oatmeal, so I assume they have true barley flakes and not a flake cereal made with a lot of other ingredients). He said they don't have gluten. I've seen it in the independent groceries here that carry a lot of Bob's Red Mill products. It's called "vital wheat gluten." You could also just use, instead of the bread flour, King Arthur Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten Flour. I'm sure that would work just fine. You need to give the barley flakes and barley flour a bit of help, to prevent the bread from being too dense. Maybe the Boston area members can help us out here. ;o)

Summer_2010_1048

hla, that IS amazing, what a guy. I do love Bob's other products. And AJ, wow, thank you! I'll have to check out that WF. Really look forward to making your bread.

You should be able to find vital wheat gluten in any health food store.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Midge, if you send me your address via the messaging system (through my profile), I'll be happy to send you some. ;o)

Summer_2010_1048

You are too kind AJ. We've got a great co-op nearby, why don't I check with them first. I may take you up on your offer if they don't have it! Thank you!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Midge, it occurred to me that WFM may have gluten in the baking aisle and not in the bulk section. The man with whom I spoke at WFM in Boston works in the bulk department and may not have been familiar with the product. I'd look for a small package, as you don't use more than a teaspoon or so, at most, per cup of flour or grain, so I rather imagine it would be sold in 2-3 cup bags. ;o)

Summer_2010_1048

That's really good to know AJ. I'll take another look at WF. Many thanks again!!

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Last time I looked King Arthur was selling "vital wheat gluten", too :)

Summer_2010_1048

thanks lapadia!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet