A question about replacing the sugar in the recipe for Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Carrotcake1

How might I replace the sugar in the basic and icing recipes with Acacias honey (which has half the glycemix index of any sugar or other honey)?

asked by Chef ClouClou over 3 years ago
Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I don't have an answer to this question but feel badly that it's sat 24 days without an answer.

Anyone out there able to help Chef ClouClou?

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Hi there -- so sorry this question has gone unanswered. Substituting any kind of honey for sugar would require some experimentation (especially because whoopie pies need to hold their shape when baking and not be too gooey to eat with your hands!).

It's worth a try, but using honey will affect the moisture, density, sweetness and even acidity (and therefore leavening) of the cakes. Here are some good rules of thumb: http://www.ehow.com/how_2110342_substitute...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I like this site for information of all kinds relating to substitutions, not just of honey for sugar, but most other baking ingredients (which you'll find on other pages on the site):

http://www.foodsubs.com...

There's not a lot of qualitative discussion, but I've found the ratios/adjustments invaluable. ;o)

Dear Peter, Kristen, and Antonia,
Thank you very much for your responses and for the suggested links which I have bookmarked for later study. I live in Geneva, Switzerland, where it's the end of the afternoon now and I have to get ready to attend a dinner featuring the Dalai Lama's French translator who will tell us how to improve our brains! Hope the food's good, too!
Food52 seems to be a great site - I'm glad I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.
Kind regards,
Peter (Chef ClouClou)

I'm sorry, too that this has gone unanswered. Yes, you can certainly replace sugar with honey. Replace it with half the measurement of honey, and add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to balance the acidity in the honey.

Dear Boulangère: thanks, well noted.
I have substituted an equal amount of honey for sugar in a cheesecake recipe that turns out OK except that it has to bake for 10-15 minutes longer which slightly burns the crust. I'll try your suggestion with it as well to see if that problem can be solved.
BTW, great user name but please forgive me if I added the accent grave on the first e (which part of my schooling in France demands that I do).
Kind regards, Peter