🔎

Basket Cheese? What the heck is it?

I picked up something at my market called Aiello's Original Dairy Maid Basket Cheese, out of Brooklyn. Looks like fresh mozzarella in a basket. Tastes a little plainer. I'm going to use it on pizza tonight, like I would fresh mozzarella.

Has anyone tried this or heard of it before?

Mrs._larkin_370

News to me. I'll look forward to what others have to say.

MrsKeller added almost 3 years ago

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Lnd_jen
lastnightsdinner added almost 3 years ago

Our local Narragansett Creamery makes it around Easter time - they describe it as a cross between ricotta and fresh mozzarella, and typically serve it in pretty straightforward fashion, like on crostini with fresh herbs. Your pizza idea sounds perfect!

Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added almost 3 years ago

It's a fresh cheese made in a basket which gives it its form. You often see the imprint of the basket's weave on the cheese.

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added almost 3 years ago

It's a fresh Italian cheese, reminiscent of both ricotta and mozzarella, that is typically made in a small basket. I am from an Italian-American family, and my parents would always buy that cheese (freshly made) around Easter. We would drizzle it with olive oil, and eat on its own (with a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of salt) or serve it on crusty Italian bread. It only keeps for a few days in the fridge, so you need to eat it pretty quickly. When I lived in NYC, I could often find it in Little Italy around Easter time.

I am so envious, Mrs. L -- I haven't had basket cheese in years. I'll bet that it was great on homemade pizza!

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added almost 3 years ago

sounds delicious!!