🔎

What is a good substitute for celery? Family member has a food allergy to it.

Desert
anyone added over 3 years ago

From a Mira poix point of view, the italians leave it out and just use carrot and onion. But, don't forget trinity. in the creole/Cajun side of things they call their mira poix trinity and intead of using celery they use bell pepper. Just a thought.

Ophelia added over 3 years ago

Depends on what you're making. If it's being used for flavor I'm not sure there's much you can do about it, maybe a little broad leaf parsley? If it's the texture you might consider cucumber for crunch, or green onion or fennel or chard stems, but all of those will impart different flavors to what you're making, so you'll just have to use your own best judgement when it comes to making a substitution.

Dsc03010
betteirene added over 3 years ago

Water chestnuts, the stems of Swiss chard or broccoli, or kohlrabi. (Do not substitute celeriac or celery seed.)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Jicama is great for texture in salads where you'd otherwise use celery. It's mild flavor is pleasant and won't seem odd.