🔎

• 5

• 2412

Another name for beef cheeks?

Are beef cheeks something you can get at a well-stocked supermarket? I've never seen them, and was wondering if they might be called something else.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Unfortunately they can be tough to find. I usually call ahead and order them.

You really need a genuine butcher who can trim a whole carrcass.the guys at the supermarket just run a saw and slap meat into foam trays.

dymnyno added almost 3 years ago

It can be difficult! You have to find a butcher who has independent sources of meat. The common way of killing the beef involves head trauma in such a manner that the bone splinters into the cheeks so it cannot be used. If you know a restaurant who serves beef cheeks, ask them who their supplier is.

Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

If you're thinking of making the Barbacoa Beef Cheek Tacos -- pictured above and in our Cinco de Mayo post -- and can't find the real deal (we had a hard time tracking them down ourselves), we've found that short ribs are an excellent substitute.

innoabrd added almost 3 years ago

And, in some places, the UK for example, the abattoir has to dispose of the head, so almost impossible to find retail.