THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

I made some pickles (refrigerator and processed) and after pening the first canned, Im totally grossed out! The pickling spice is so clove heavy that they've been dubbed 'Christmas pickles' in our house, is there anything I can add (at least to the refrigerator pickles) to cut the clove taste?

asked by ohhelloelle over 5 years ago
73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

The question that comes to mind is try and fix it or try and compliment it by adding different pickeling spice that would compiment the clove flavor. Say something like bread and butter pickeling spices. Not that I would know what that would do just a thought. Recovery projects always take you to the realm of the unknown.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'd pour off the vinegar/brine, make up a new batch of non-spiced vinegar/brine (whatever proportions of vinegar, water sugar, salt, etc.), rinse them and pour the neutral brine over them. Give it a couple of days, and if that has toned it down some but you need more toning, do it again. You can also stick a chunk or two of raw potato in with the pickles to draw out some of the spice.

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

As a long time and certified Master Canner, Kayb is telling you the absolute right way to go.

Give it a try!

E58ba5ae ebb0 417e 8137 d75e19fe35b2  dscn0146 1

thanks guys! i am going to re-brine them this weekend!