🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Old-fashioned uspide-down apple cake

I have a question about the recipe "Old-fashioned uspide-down apple cake" from Seasin. I wonder about using the food processor to beat egg whites...usually egg whites separated are whipped up to a high amt of foam to lighten cake batter. Does that happen with processor using regular metal bladee?

asked by rukahn over 4 years ago

In order to get best results with egg whites you'll need to either use the whisk attachment of your food processor, or even better to whisk them in a separate bowl with a handheld electric whisk-or if you're brave, a normal muscle-powered old-fashioned whisk.
The metal blade attachment won't incorporate enough air into the egg whites. Also remember that for best results in whipping whites, in my experience, you should use a plastic or porcelain bowl that's spotlessly clean and completely dry. A pinch of salt also helps.
Hope you'll try the recipe and enjoy it.

i have never used a food processor for beating egg whites but don't think it would work. Using your hand held or stand mixer beats air into the whites and a food processor really doesn't do that. If you have stamina and strong arm you can use a balloon whisk. I think it best not to use your food processor.

I wouldn't use the food processor, either. The miracle of whipped egg whites happens because of their long, strong protein chains. Whipping them with a pinch of cream of tartar (or a few drops of vinegar) causes them to relax and stretch out into what turns into that lovely meringue. A food processor is a wonderful chopping and incorporating device, but in this case, chopping is the last thing you want to do with you egg whites. It's not nearly a difficult as you may think to whip them by hand with a whisk. Be sure to add a healthy pinch of cream of tartar, and you'll do just fine.