🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What can I replace with Calvados?

asked by Madame Sel about 4 years ago
036

Calvados isn't sweet but it is apple-kissed, I would think cognac with a teeny splash of apple cider would do it? You could probably go straight cognac too, you would lose that hint of apple though. Dang, now I want pate made with calvados.

I'm going to try this with Ina Garten's Individual Apple Tarts...mixing with the cognac with apple cider!

Desert

My first reaction is Why would you want to? I don't mean to be rude I just think trying to sub something for Calvados is experimental and no matter what you try that outcome will be unknown and possibly at a loss.

Image

Well, I am trying to save $$ and since I will only use the Calvados I was trying to replace it with something. The recipe already has apple cider in it so I can't substitute with that. It only calls for 1/4 cup of Calvados so I was trying to find an alternative.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

What is the recipe? It makes a big difference.

Image

Cider Braised country spare ribs-you deglaze with calvados and then saute some apples and onions.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Brandy, even something inexpensive, would work just fine in a recipe like this. Or, I'd use Grappa. Especially given that you have apple cider, go with something neutral. (Someone once recommended to me to substitute a pear liqueur for Calvados, but the result was rather strange.) You've got so much apple in this dish already, I'm not sure I'd bother with adding more cider. ;o)

Desert

I hear you on that madame-Then I don't think congac is going be less costly unless you already have it. From a cost stand point You might try an airline bottle of another type of liquor. My local liquor store carries the tiny bottles at a buck each. If the recipe calls for both cider and Calvados and cognac is a logical substute then look far a sub. for congac in the airline bottles. Brandy?

Image

We call those "nips" here in NH. I know for a fact there Courvoisier in that size, I think I may do that! Good call DonnyG!

Madame Sel,
Don't feel badly. I know what it's like. It is a shame to spend the money for a bottle of something that you may only use once. I just went to the website of a relatively inexpensive liquor store, and the bottles of Calvados were not cheap. What are you going to be making? Knowing that may help us come up with a good alternative.

Imag0055

Laird's Applejack. MUCH less expensive and you can make a nice Jack Rose with it too, then drink it and pretend you are Jake Barnes in The Sun Also Rises.