🔔
🔎

Oven braising vs. stove top . . . a recipe for beef braised on the bone says to simmer on the stove for 2 hours. How long in the oven? ;o)

I'd like to cook it at 275 degrees, because of several other items in the oven. Thank you. ;o)

Burnt_offering

I would think the trick would be to get the same gentle simmer going in the oven as on the stove, so bring it up to simmer on the stove and then maybe 2.5 hours @ 325 in the upper third of the oven. That's what Julia recommends, anyway. ;-)

I braise bone-in short ribs all the time. Used to do on top of the stove for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, but now do in oven at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes, then turn down to 275 and cook for another hour and 15 minutes, or until tender (test with fork). The secret is that you want the oven at a temp that will maintain a very slow simmer. Even with thorough browning on top of the stove, when you first put the pot in the oven the meat is cool enough at the center to prevent a slow simmer -- hence starting at 300 degrees and turn turning down. I also bring to a good boil on top of the stove before putting in the oven. If you must do it at 275 the whole time, I'd plan on 2 1/2 hours. And bring to a solid boil on top of the stove before putting in the oven.

275 F is my go-to braising temperature (in oven) for beef. Like the previous posters suggested, just make sure it is brought up to a simmer on the stovetop. I imagine it would take about 2.5 hours, depending on your cut/thickness. I would just start on the early side and check for tenderness. I've found braises often benefit from reheating, and I often like to return the meat only to a low oven, for extra texture/glaze, while reducing the braising sauce on the stove.

I do all of my braises in the oven. I find that the even temperature in the oven gives me consistent results. I do most somewhere between 275 and 375. I find that I need to bring whatever I am cooking up to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer. If you just bring it up to a simmer, it might not be strong enough to continue to simmer in the oven. I have checked on a dish and found that it was not doing anything when I did not have enough heat going into the oven. Then I had to take the pot out of the oven, put it on the stove, and start all over again.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, everyone. I brought it to a full boil, then covered it immediately and put it in the middle of my oven at 275 degrees for about 2 3/4 hours. Perfect!! We'll actually be eating it tomorrow night. ;o)