🔎

A question about a recipe: Rhubarb Curd Shortbread

I have a question about the recipe "Rhubarb Curd Shortbread" from Rivka.

I am a little confused about the order of things - the recipie calls for partially making the curd, then the shortbread, and then finishing up the curd. Specifically I am a little confused about the reference to "tempering" the egg yolks - the puree will be cool if I literally follow the recipe and so the yolks will not need tempering - or am I misunderstanding the reference to tempering?

Should I be making the curd while all is still warm?

050410f_592
Wholefoods_user_icon

Maddy is the editor of WholeFoodsMarketCooking.com.

Hi ejm, I think even though the recipe has those steps written consecutively, Rivka intends you to make the curd while the shortbread dough is chilling, so it would just be about 10 minutes in between blending the rhubarb puree, processing the shortbread dough, and tempering the eggs. At that point, the puree may still be warm enough to require tempering the eggs.

Profilepic
Rivka added almost 3 years ago

Yep, Maddy is right. I'm sorry that wasn't clearer!

ejm added almost 3 years ago

Thanks all, I was thinking that but wanted to be sure I did not miss something crucial. I went ahead and made these today and they are great - will keep this in my celebrate spring file!