🔔
🔎

Burnt_offering

Do you have any plain sewing thread? I would take about 4 lengths of thread, twist them together and use that instead. Also, depending on what you're tying up, you could twist a strip of aluminum foil tightly into a thin strip and use that. Even cutting a strip of an old, clean rag would work better than mint flavored dental floss.....good luck!

Kay_at_lake

I'd think you could take the dental floss, soak it in hot water for a few minutes, and get rid of the mint taste/smell. Worth a try.

I'm sorry but none of this will work. Kitchen twine needs to be pretty sturdy. Remember you are going to have to snip it out later. Go buy some kite string at the convenience store.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Is this for trussing a chicken? Do you have a clean unused white cotton shoelace maybe? That would be better than mint floss, which will tear into the skin and meat, and possibly make your chicken minty, which may not be a bad thing if you're serving those minty peas up there with it. If you use a shoelace, be sure to cut off the plastic thingies on the ends, called aglets (I just learned that's what they're called!) You learn something new on foodpickle everyday, I'm telling you. :)

White or undyed needlepoint thread might work too, if it's cotton.

P.S. Plain floss is great for cutting slices from a chilled goat cheese log....

Monica

I've used dental floss before. It gets slippery and so it's harder to handle than kitchen twine. Even the mint flavored one didn't stain or flavor my chicken. But be sure it's not made of something that will melt.

Photo_59
Kari Johnson

Kari is the manager of Whisk, a kitchenware store in Brooklyn.

I've used a thick rubber band, in a pinch, and it worked out well. I didn't notice a taste, and it didn't melt. I'm not sure of how HEALTHY this was, but, hey, it worked and i'm still here!

If you don't need very much of it, you could strip the paper or plastic covering from twisty ties! I have a ton of them in my kitchen so I always need uses...