🔔
🔎

If a recipe calls for sweet rice flour, can I substitute for rice flour with sugar added?

What is sweet rice flour?

asked by Marnely over 3 years ago

Good question. Read the contents label. I've never heard of sweet rice flour, but if it were rice flower with some sort of sweetener added, I would guess it would probably be called *sweetened*.

I believe sweet rice flour is glutinous rice flour, which doesn't have sweetener added.

Chris_in_oslo

Sweet rice flour is the same as sticky rice flour. It's not rice with sugar added. But it's possible that what you're thinking of as just "rice flour" is actually the same thing. What else is on the label?

Thank you Anitalectric and Marnely. Good question, great answer.

Lorigoldsby

Can somebody link a recipe that calls for the sweet rice flour? Id be interested in reading a good recipe.

Marnely1_1_

Thanks everyone for all your answers! Here is the link: http://www.lafujimama.com...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I often use sweet rice flour in conjunction with regular rice flours or other gluten-free flours in my gluten-free baking. Its stickiness, when moderated with other flours, helps to hold things together without any needed gluten. See this recipe for Coconut Macaroons:
http://beyondcelery.blogspot...

Scan0004

Yes, for a mochi recipe you should only use a true 'sweet rice flour.' You'll probably have to go to an Asian market to find it, and that's how it's labeled. It's very inexpensive.
Lately it has been showing up in recipes for gluten-free baking, to take advantage of the 'sticky' characteristic. It's called 'glutinous' rice, but that does not refer to the gluten proteins to be avoided by celiacs and others -- it's glutinous in the sense of gooey.