I have 6 lbs of just picked blueberries. Any creative suggestions besides freezing them?

asked by beneandbear over 3 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

1. Indulge in them fresh.
2. add them into salads, or muffins and breads.. that fresh picked flavor is incomparable
3.Jam!, they're perfect for making jams.

Cakes

Add to your oatmeal with a tad of cinnamon. Delicious!

036

I made blueberry jam last year with a hint of vanilla - delicious ....

Img_0788_hsm

Finland.img_7136 In Finland they drink blueberry milk which is neat... you have to add lots of ice to keep it from getting a curdled look from the acid in the blueberries... but they way it is traditionally done, there would be little milk and lots of blueberries and you'd end up with a very thick mixture, almost like buttermilk or yogurt. http://globaltableadventure...

Cakes

A breakfast smoothie with frozen blueberries. The Milk Bar Blueberry milk crumb cookies.

3-bizcard

Lucky you, smoothies or breakfast shakes are great I make one almost every morning and fresh blueberries are wonderful. I use soy milk, fage nonfat yogurt plain, a tbs or 2 of uncle sam's cereal a squirt of honey. Delish.
You can also freeze them what you don't use right away. Flash freeze on a baking sheet then transfer to freezer bags.

How 'bout blueberry buckle? I don't have a recipe handy but Smitten Kitchen has a 'blueberry boy bait' on her site that is similar. And then you can't go wrong with jam. If you're not one for canning, I'd recommend a quick freezer jam, which is essentially blueberries, sugar, and little pectin. You can add some citrus or vanilla to your taste. You should be able to easily find recipes online. Enjoy!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

These all great ideas! Also, freeze a bunch. Wash, dry, and place the blueberries on a parchment-lined cookie sheet in one layer and freeze until solid. I love frozen blueberries over Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey or agave syrup, sprinkle of flax and/or chia seeds. So so good.

There are a slew of great blueberry recipes in the food52 archives, too! Check them out: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Port2

I think you should make a chutney! Blueberries, with their combination of deep flavours, acidity and sweetness are perfect and yet exotic for relishes and chutney. You can basicaly use any recipe for plum chtney or mango relish and subsitute blueberries. They retain their freshness in a way they don't in jams... I once did this and used raspberry vinegar, rosemary and walnuts to make a blueberry chutney, and it was divine.

Lorigoldsby

How about a blueberry salsa? Add some raspberries, strawberrirs and or blavkbrrries, juice of a lime, lime zest and cardamon. Serve with cinnamon sprinkled tortilla chips for a dessert or over grilled chicken in an entree salad

Dsc_0400

MMMM blueberries....some smoothies can be made and frozen in cups for a great morning pick-me up (I zap it in the microwave for a bit to soften it up for me and my kids) AND this Blueberry Lemon Shortbread Tart I found at Lick the Bowl Good is AMAZING and simple - use two pounds there one for you and one for somene as a wonderful surprise!!

Dsc_0400

Ha forgot the link!! http://soufflebombay.blogspot...

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Lots of pies!!!! Blueberry pie is the best! :) Also, in Scandinavia they make blueberry soup, which is delicious for breakfast or dessert. This is a pretty good recipe (not too sweet) http://scribbit.blogspot...

Larry_and_rachel_cropped_for_twitter

Sure baking with blueberries is great...but drinking with them is better. Throw a party and make a giant bowl of cold blueberry sangria. Or make Blueberry mojitos, throw a handful in when you muddle the mint. Or bluberry margarita's or...well you get the idea. Also, please invite me to this party :-)

Burnt_offering

I made a blueberry onion marmalade last summer - it was amazing on grilled chicken. In 4 TBL melted butter, simmer a pound of sliced onions slowly for about an hour. Continuously add chicken stock during the cooking process to keep moist. When onions are soft, add a cup of blueberries and cook slowly for 20 minutes. When the onions are almost a jam, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over sliced lemon grilled chicken.

If your into making sauces here in the Pac NW we use our abundant resources anyway we can and try to show case them in season. I like to do reduction sauces with fruit and wine. My most popular for salmon is a pinot noir/blueberry reduction sauce. I've also used it in a recovery sort of way by saucing smoked chicken and brie quesadilla's and sliced pork sandwiches. I also do a blueberry demi-glace that is great on any red meat that has been grilled over hardwoods. Good luck!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

These are all great ideas . . . I have 17 blueberry bushes, and in good years, have gallons of blueberries. It's very, very easy to can them, using the raw pack method, which is simply to wash them, put them in jars and pour a light syrup over them. Then process in a hot water bath. The Ball Blue Book has complete instructions. There is nothing like opening a jar of blueberries in the dead of winter, reducing (separately) the syrup they were packed in, and enjoying them over pancakes, waffles, in crisps, over ice cream or sour cream cake, etc. Remember, too, that if you refrigerate them right away (having picked over them to make sure there are no bruised ones), they keep for a good long time. So you have a week or more, depending on their condition, before you must use them. Raw packing though is the way to go when you have an enormous quantity with which you must deal, in the short term. ;o)

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Freeze the blueberries about 3 hours, so they're not quite hard as marbles. Blend up cucumber, fresh lime juice, ice, and gin together. Pour into a cocktail glass with some ginger ale, then float the frozen blueberries in the drink. They'll keep the drink colder longer, then thaw out to be eaten as you drink. I call this one the Green Lantern.

Approximate quantities for 4:
1/2 - 1 skinned English cucumber, depending on the size
2 Tbls lime juice
4oz gin
about 10 ice cubes
1 can ginger ale

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Whoa, Syronai, that is one seriously good looking cocktail. Now, if it would just stop being winter here and at least give us a little spring . . . . ;o)

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Thanks, AntoniaJames! It's also excellent with rum. I am now incredibly jealous of your 17 blueberry bushes. Yum yum yum.

1.) Add to salads -- many salads use fruit in them. I think they'd work fine in place of strawberries in a lettuce salad.
2.) a cool dessert i've never tried is mixed berry aspic (I don't know why except for asthethics it wouldn't work just fine with 1 berry) -- like this one.. http://www.gundluth.org...

3.)alongthe dessert line... blueberry lemon panna cotta : http://www.gundluth.org...

4.)waffles, pancakes, scones, --- then repeat =)
5.)blue berry sorbet -- http://www.barefootkitchenwitch...

Junechamp

Yum, Blueberries! I make a free-form blueberry tart in a lemon shortbread pastry. Takes quite a few berries. Or how about Blueberry/buttermilk Ice Cream?

I have a blueberry cake recipe that is seriously good, but it's at my parents' house! I bet you could find a great one though. Freeze and make smoothies, of course, and I love the mojito/margarita idea above. Cordial is another idea - make a syrupy one for ice creams, or as a mixer. But whatever you do, remember you're fighting free radicals and feel good about yourself! And send some this way please... :)

I posted an old family recipe my great grandmother brought over from Germany for steamed dumplings with blueberry sauce I highly recommend! Great for Sunday brunch: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Cakes

We used to cheese blintzes with blueberry sauce at the hotel. They were yummy!

Wholefoods_user_icon

You could make something like rote grutze with other berries as a compote or cold soup with wine or pickle some. I have some recipes on food52 for cherries and cranberries adaptable for blueberries.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Here is a link to my pickled cranberry recipe which might be adapted with some spice changes; I like the idea of pickled blueberries-