how long to capers last in the fridge? i have a bottle with no expiration date and i have no idea how long i've had them

asked by @alexandracale over 3 years ago

I'm hoping that kind of forever is the right answer. Generally, if something doesn't have an expiration date (and if you start paying attention, it's somewhat scary some of the foods that don't), well, it doesn't expire. As for capers, they're packed in a strongly acidic brine which, as long as they're refrigerated, protects them against spoilage. If nothing else, be brave and taste one. Also, good Costco shoppers should maybe pause for a moment and consider how soon (or not) they are likely to use something up. In the case of capers, yes, the giant size may be cheaper by the dozen, but the tiny grocery store bottle might be more realistic in terms of consumption. Alternatively, start thinking of ways to incorporate capers into more foods.

And speaking of thinking of ways to incorporate capers, mull over this week's aioli contest. Great home for some of your capers.

3-bizcard

Great question and I was wondering the same thing, have a bottle capers probably 2 years old in my fridge, was wondering whether to uae or throw out. Thanks Boulangere now I know I can keep them.

I suspect many of us have some well-aged capers still alive and well.

Chris_in_oslo

The funny thing is that all of us with aged capers are likely to have them and think how much we like capers! Odd that we let them get old.

I too have some capers that have been hanging in the fridge for a while. They owe their longevity to the fact that I am the only person in the house who likes them. They are a difficult ingredient to sneak into a meal undetected.

I'm pretty sure capers have a fridge-life of a thousand years. Didn't they find some capers in one of the Egyptian tombs? I bought one of those mammoth Costco bottles once (4 years ago?) and still have 3/4 of it. But they still taste like capers. I sometimes remember them, and churn out a puttanesca sauce, or toss them into tuna salad.

Junechamp

Capers are forever! I always have several containers on hand. large ones, small ones. just love them. Great with lemon juice over grilled white fish of any ilk.

Tarte_tatin

Marcella Hazan says they last "indefinitely" in the fridge.