🔔
🔎

I’m making acorn squash gnocchi with sage and brown butter tomorrow. I don’t know what to serve with it. I was the gnocchi to be the center of attention, but I know I need to serve something with it!

asked by liamoran about 4 years ago
Canposter

Depending on your geographic region....some farm fresh sauteed green vegetables with a little olive oil and garlic would taste mighty nice! Say, green beans, or chard, or kale, or other greens.

Bmp_9375

I would serve a crisp, cold salad --dark greens with finely sliced red onions, grape tomatoes, fresh oregano, salt and pepper finished with a sherry vinegrette.

Desert

First I have to say that your gnocchi sounds great. But typically gnocchi is considered a pasta which in an italian meal is usually first course (primo). But who cares right. I would serve several different small courses and then let the gnocchi shine in abundance. And being that it's fall and your serving squash gnocchi I would go with some fall menu Items. Suate'd mushrroms, some kind of bread, a cold green salad, maybe a few thin slices of pork tenderloin w/sage (if not going vegetarian), and sauted green beans or asparagus possibly even a soup. Good luck!

N768884774_851343_4507

@liamoran - I love the idea of the squash gnocchi as well, can you please post the recipe when you have the time?

Personally I don't like salad with pasta. It's a temperature thing. I would serve a platter of oven roasted asparagus. The color would be a nice contrast and the flavor wouldn't overwhelm the gnocchi. (Place trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil until coated but not drenched, 2 or 3 tablespoons. Add a little salt and pepper and roast in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, less if skinny)

I agree with DonnyG's take. The gnocchi in Italy is a pre-lim, but here in America it can be the star attraction. If that's the case (and I don't know that it is), I would suggest a salad of shaved fennnel and grapefruit and thinly sliced red onion. If you need something meat-a-tarian, almost anything porkish would be good. Sage, fennel and pig all complement each other.

Cakes

I like the idea of a salad with roasted pears, a few walnuts, and just a few shavings of gorgonzola cheese.

Thank for the help, everyone. My parents have lots of asparagus at the house, so I'll be roasting that and drizzling it wih balsamic and sprinkling some asiago over it. For my sister (who *claims* to be allergic to asparagus) I'm making her a small salad with pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola.

I have a sister like that! She would tell me that our late mother "hated" beets. Turned out Mom loved beets---it was my sister who hated beets. The little conniver also disliked anchovies so I started hiding them in everything.

Cakes

When I told my mentor/cook that I hated liver, she slipped it into all sorts of dishes - of course, I loved everything she made with liver in it, although I was clueless.