Need to make a batch of fast and easy crepes...recipe?

asked by cookingwithfire over 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Chezsuzanne has a great recipe. http://www.food52.com/recipes... The fastest way to make crepes would be to buy a package of the 9" pre-made crepes, then just have the filling ready to go.

3-bizcard

I use the recipe from Julia's Wisdom here it is super easy and really good:
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cold milk
2/3 cup cold water
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbs melted butter

Mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, refrigerate at least a half hour or more. The rest is important it allows the flour particles to absorb the liquid yealding a tender crepe.
Heat a non stick frying pan or crepe pan, brush lightly with melted butter pour 2-3 Tbs of batter and swirl pan until batter covers the entire surface. Cook about 1 minute or until browned turn and cook the other side.

3-bizcard

Sorry its Julia's kitchen wisdom

Farmer's_market

I also use Julia Child's crepe recipe - mine is in The Way to Cook, but it's the same one. If I'm doing sweet (dessert) crepes, I usually add a tablespoon or so of sugar to the batter. It's a no-fail basic recipe.

Once you get going, you kind of become a crepe making machine - so I usually do a lot of extras to freeze between sheets of wax paper - a great thing to have on hand. They defrost in seconds and you can have instant breakfast crepes (spread with Nutella, jam, lemon curd, a fried egg...) or filled with cheese, ham/cheese, whatever....or my all time favorite: folded around a simple squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of coarse, crunchy sugar.

I guess it depends what you mean by *really fast*. It's kind of a relative term. One person's by tomorrow morning might be another's in an hour. Crepes can't really be rushed. The batter needs to rest, and cooking them, even if you get two or more skillets going at once, it's a process regardless. So if really fast means much sooner rather than eventually, I'd vote for frozen.