🔔
🔎

I have 30 bell peppers I need to roast. Are there any shortcuts to peeling them post-roasting? All I know is to paper-bag them or cover them in a bowl for a bit, and then use my hands to get all the charred skin off. Doable... just tedious. Ideas?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked about 4 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Some people like to peel them under running water so the skin and bits slide off as you go.

Sunshine-small
Peter

Interesting. I wonder how much of the flavor you lose under the running water. If only there were some food-obsessed people out there to test this for me...

Ozoz_profile

I roast them and with the blunt side of a knife on a chopping board, gently scrape off the skin (after they've sweated).

Me

I've always gone the paper bag route, but I was recently told by a chef who specializes in southwestern food to soak them for 10 minutes in a bowl of ice water before peeling, particularly if you're working with thin skinned peppers like poblano peppers. I've tried it, and it worked very well for me and couldn't tell I was losing any flavor.