🔎

I have 30 bell peppers I need to roast. Are there any shortcuts to peeling them post-roasting? All I know is to paper-bag them or cover them in a bowl for a bit, and then use my hands to get all the charred skin off. Doable... just tedious. Ideas?

Sunshine-small
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Some people like to peel them under running water so the skin and bits slide off as you go.

Sunshine-small

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Interesting. I wonder how much of the flavor you lose under the running water. If only there were some food-obsessed people out there to test this for me...

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 3 years ago

I roast them and with the blunt side of a knife on a chopping board, gently scrape off the skin (after they've sweated).

Chocolate_peppermint_truffle_cookies_032
TheWimpyVegetarian added over 3 years ago

I've always gone the paper bag route, but I was recently told by a chef who specializes in southwestern food to soak them for 10 minutes in a bowl of ice water before peeling, particularly if you're working with thin skinned peppers like poblano peppers. I've tried it, and it worked very well for me and couldn't tell I was losing any flavor.