🔎

Need parchment paper for the bottom of a cake pan and am all out! What can I use instead? It's a flourless chocolate cake, if that matters.

Dsc00202

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

You can absolutely use wax paper. Do you have that?

LisaCooks added almost 3 years ago

really? Even thought it's going in a 350 oven? In a water bath?

3-bizcard

When I make brownies I line my pan with aluminum foil instead of parchment I am not 100% on this but wonder if foil would be a viable alternative to parchment for your cake. I have used wax paper before with good results but have to admit it wasn't in a recipe that used a water bath. I butter the aluminum foil and it works well for brownies.

LisaCooks added almost 3 years ago

Just used the wax paper...will report back after my run!

Me_by_barbara_tyroler
Nora added almost 3 years ago

My mother always used waxed paper, so do I. I'm sure it'll work for you.

Image

maybe too late, but I use foil when I run out of parchment. Shiny side up.

Chocolate_peppermint_truffle_cookies_032
TheWimpyVegetarian added almost 3 years ago

I use wax paper in a situation like this as long as the wax paper will be completely covered by whatever you're baking. Good luck!

LisaCooks added almost 3 years ago

The result? Epic fail! Maybe because I had already greased the bottom of the pan (what I do when I use parchment) and then again on top of the wax paper? Dunno, but it came out in a million pieces. Still delicious though! Thanks everyone for your help!

Dsc03010
betteirene added almost 3 years ago

There are three reasons to ask for paper bags at your grocery store: One is so that you can make caramel popcorn in the microwave; another is so that you have something on which to drain fried chicken or egg rolls; and the third is that paper bags are an awesome substitute for parchment. Keep a sack or two handy.

gina_berthold added almost 3 years ago

probably too late, but if I'm using a round cake pan I usually line it with a coffee filter. the flat bottom ones fit perfectly and the butter from the pan seeps through a bit so nothing sticks

nutcakes added almost 3 years ago

gina_berthold-- that is a great tip. Foodpickler of the week worthy.

LisaCooks-- wax paper is perfectly fine if it is completely covered by batter. it wouldn't have affected the outcome. You just can't use wax paper when it is exposed, like for cookies, because it will burn