🔔
🔎

Picnic eats

I was going to recommend this as contest but I don't know where I do that. Anyway, I was wondering what are your best dishes for a picnic. Something that keeps well if not eaten for a few hours.
Thanks!

asked by happycao over 3 years ago

Pasta salad, regular salad... And Merrill had a great no-mayo potato salad on this site! I'm also always a huge fan of sandwiches. If you want to fancy it up a little, you could make a tart, like the sausage and kale one that one a few contests back, or a quiche. Good luck!

Junechamp

Oh my favorite dish is Goanese Roast Pork! It is nicely spiced, and holds incredibly well for a very long time, even out of refrigeration.

I posted a muffaletta recipe this week that would be great for a picnic..find it here

Scroll through the Street Food entries. Several of them would fit your bill nicely, and the ethnic spectrum they represent is fantastic.

Me

savory and sweet muffins are also very good for picnics

Dsc_0400

Reading the answers just made me hungry! YES to the Muffaletta's!
How about chicken wings, couscous salad loaded with chickpeas, spinach, tomatoes and a favorite cheese bring some balsamic dressing along and toss just prior to serving. I also bring whole bbq's pork tenderloin and slice it down - goes great w/ the couscous - how about some hummus and crackers...and for the kids bring a box of ice cream cones...fill them with berries that you tossed in a bit of sugar (packed in a container) a great treat! Can you tell I love picnics! LOL

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I third the mufalleta! Very good for a picnic. A nice jambon beurre is also excellent, and a lovely recipe for one was posted in the street food contest. A layered vegetable torte baked in pastry would be nice. And, bring lots of berries! Berries are delicious when picnicking.

Junechamp

Yes to Muffuletta. It travels so well. and Big thumbs UP to salads made without mayo.

fritatta sandwich...good at room temp or cold, pan bagnat!

Stringio

my picnic standard is fried chicken. tastes great cold or room temp and can be made a day or 2 ahead

Thank you thank you!! I was trying to stay away from sandwiches cause I worry that they get soggy, unless I use bread like baguettes.