🔎

• 8

• 3804

some old recipes call for "Presto" flour, what is this

Wholefoods_user_icon
150-1
Giulia Melucci added almost 3 years ago

It's a brand of self rising flour. If you can't find it you need to add baking powder and salt.

Amy in Smyrna added over 2 years ago

actually on their website for Presto they say to add 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt to every cup of cake flour

MrsKeller added almost 3 years ago

It is self-rising cake flour. It is still made and you can order it online.

A close substitute is 1 cup cake flour + 1.5 teaspoons baking powder + .5 teaspoon salt per 1 cup of Presto flour in your recipe.

MrsKeller added almost 3 years ago

Presto is a low gluten flour so you will have the best results if your substitution is CAKE flour but using all purpose flour may give satisfactory results.

Junechamp

I think the brand called "Wondra" is probably the most like "Presto." It's an instant flour (not sure what that really means).

Chris_in_oslo

I just googled it, and Presto flour is still around, "a favorite since 1902." As Giulia Melucci and MrsKeller said, it's a self-rising flour, and "very popular in New York." Check out prestoflour.com if you'd like to buy some, or follow the advice to add baking powder and salt.

Amy in Smyrna added over 2 years ago

Amy in Smyrna added over 2 years ago