My Basket ()

All questions
5 answers 1121 views
added about 4 years ago

I have been a bit confused lately about the designations for cream, whipping cream, heavy whipping cream, etc. Now "double cream"? I think we need an expert.

added about 4 years ago

"Double cream" has a fat content of 38%-40%, whereas "heavy whipping cream" is technically 36% fat or more. They're pretty much the same thing, so I'm sure you can just use heavy whipping cream.

I'm not an expert, but I did look this up on wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org...

Kitchen Arts & Letters

Kitchen Arts & Letters is a culinary bookstore on Manhattan's Upper East Side.

added about 4 years ago

Is this a British recipe? The term "double cream" is most common on the other side of the pond. While there are no exact equivalents between US dairy terminology and those of other countries, in most cases you can use heavy cream in recipes that call for double cream. Keep in mind, though, that UK creams may actually be higher in fat and lower in water than US creams, so you might want to measure scantly where possible to avoid having your recipe turn out watery.

added about 4 years ago

I called my master chef buddy down in San Jose del Cabo who was trained in France. It all about fat content. Double Cream has around 46% where as the heavy whipping cream we have is around 36%. You can buy it most everywhere in England & France.

added about 4 years ago

I think to get the same fat content of double cream, you may need to add some butter to the heavy whipping cream. How much? That I have no idea....