A question about a recipe: Dr. Zhivago Borscht

Ss030210f478

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Dr. Zhivago Borscht" from Naked Beet. It says:

"Peel and cut the carrots into rounds, and for the potatoes, cut them into 1/2? size cubes or small chunks. (I prefer my vegetables small as I find they distribute a lot better into individual bowls.) Add them to the pot as they're ready. Then add the chopped celery and the juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon. Bring your heat up and cook the soup until a fork easily pierces through one of the larger beet pieces; this should take about 15 minutes on medium low heat."

Where are the garlic cloves in the ingredients introduced?

asked by mbergner about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

They don't show up until step 6: "If you want to make the soup a bit spicier, add thin slices of garlic to the soup before serving. If you want just a hint of garlic, then rub a cut clove over the crust of your bread."

We went with thin slices -- you can probably see them, peeking out of the pink soup in Sarah Shatz' photo.

Picture_2

Yep, they're optional in this borscht. You could add them into the soup directly, but I find that the bite of fresh garlic is much more interesting if added toward the end, or just rubbed on the crusts of sliced bread alongside the soup. Hope it comes out to your liking!