🔎

mulligatawny soup history

today we made a traditional family recipe the great mulligatawny soup. I took the picture anybody please share the history of this soup so I can post the history with the recipe tomorrow

3
52
52
pauljoseph added almost 3 years ago

33 one more picture how drink the soup rice,fried onion and cilantro

52
pauljoseph added almost 3 years ago

and lemon

3-bizcard

here is something I found online, its got a checkered past and unclear history but here is a link to an article about the soup:
http://www.weareneverfull...

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added almost 3 years ago

Mulligatawny: the literal transalation is from the tamil words milagu (black pepper) & thaneer (water), it remains one of the classic Anglo Indian offerings that came out of pre-independent India.
It may be inferred from the original spice combination that it arose from milagu rasam (a watery broth made with coriander, cumin, & pepper with a tamarind base usually paired with plain rice and a toasted papad. the word Rasam itself is derived from the sanskrit Rasa which means 'essence') but over the times It may have been thickened up & vegetables added to make this into a thick soup.

Scan0004
susan g added almost 3 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing how you make it. I've love the ones I've made, but I'm sure your soup will excel!