A question about a recipe: Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

E53e7186-df51-47c0-bcbd-c99159ac4a24.2013-1107_absurdly-addictive-asparagus-021

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Absurdly Addictive Asparagus" from kaykay. It says:

"In a large non-stick pan, sauté pancetta, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until crisp and lightly golden. "

My husband and I don't eat pork. What would you suggest for a reasonable substitute?

asked by mrs.diggs about 4 years ago
3639eee1-5e0d-4861-b1ed-149bd0559f64.gator_cake

You could skip it. You could flake some smoked salmon in at the end. You could finely dice some deli smoked turkey, and just give it a brief saute with a bit of oil.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04.avatar

I don't eat pork either. When the primary bacon contribution seems to be a certain flavor, I just add a bit of liquid smoke. Another way to get that deep flavor is to dissolve anchovies in the cooking oil.
For recipes (like the addictive asparagus) where texture is important, I use crisped-up smoked fish or smoked turkey or crisped, diced pastrami. To keep a dish totally vegetarian, I will use frizzled leeks for the crispy effect. In any event, I have never considered substituting turkey bacon or beef bacon - I'm not sure exactly why.