A question about a recipe: Lemon Birthday Cake

062309f_1323

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Lemon Birthday Cake" from Eric Liftin. It says:

"Separate the eggs for the frosting. Dump 4 of the yolks in the main bowl; repurpose the rest as you like. Put aside the whites (in a stainless bowl). Whisk in the 8 eggs and beat until foamy. Whisk in the cream and rum. " The recipe only calls for 8 eggs. Not 4 yolks and 8 eggs. Was it just a mistake in the ingredient list?

asked by belen about 3 years ago
3-bizcard

I am pasting in A&M's testing notes looks like for the cake its 8 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks:
Visually, this cake is a scene-stealer -- a birthday cake that makes a statement. It looks like a giant, sophisticated marshmallow. We were concerned it would be too rich (grand total: 8 whole eggs, 4 egg yolks, 1 1/3 cups of cream and 2 sticks of butter), but miraculously it's not: lemon and rum infuse the batter and give it the character of an English tea cake. The icing is a lightly sweetened meringue scented with vanilla and more lemon. Don't overwhip it as we did, and don't skip the berries, a nod to strawberry shortcake. - A&M

Ice-cream-cone-fb-3311096

Thanks so much, sdebrango! I think I may be going blind...

3-bizcard

I was a little confused myself until I read the testing notes. It sounds delicious.

Dsc_0011

Sorry I couldn't express it more clearly. The cake calls for 8 eggs. The frosting calls for 7 (separated -- only the whites are used in the frosting). The concept is just to use 4 of the discarded frosting yolks to enrich the cake.

Ice-cream-cone-fb-3311096

Oh, it's not a problem. I just totally missed A&M's notes. I made this cake for a dinner party last night and it was a hit! I frosted it with lemon cream cheese frosting, cover the outside with chopped pistachios, and sprinkled raspberry sugar over the top. Everyone loved it.