A question about a recipe: Pissaladière Niçoise

Possaladiere

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Pissaladière Niçoise" from ChefJune. It says:

"FWIW: DuFour's frozen puff pastry (all butter) works just fine if you've neither the time nor the inclination to make even the Rough Puff. ;)"
could you use a regular pizza cust rather than puff pastry or rough puff pastry? i am quite adept at making that dough and don't hae the desire to spend the time and butte for a puff pastry workout

asked by alienor about 3 years ago
3-bizcard

Maybe Chef June will weigh in on this but i will give you my opinion. Pizza dough and puff pastry dough are so different it would not be the same instead of a pissaladiere it would be more like a pizza. You could certainly try I love pizza but to really re-create this delicious recipe you would need to find puff pastry, dufour's is the very best in my opinion. Do you not have access to it where you live? I know that puff pastry made from scratch is a bit difficult and time consuming.

Farmer's_market

I've never done ChefJune's recipe, but pissadaliere is one of my favorite things to make. Store bought puff pastry works fine as a base - and is convenient and delicious - but it's not actually as traditional as a rough or yeasted (pizza/flatbread) dough crust. In Nice and vicinity, it's done that way very often. (Thanks to proximity, historically shifting borders, etc., there's lots of culinary cross-pollination between the South of France and Italy, so it makes sense.) Long story short - absolutely you can go the pizza dough route.

Glad you think so, too amysarah. Will alienor's be the same, or even as the rules go *authentic*? Maybe not. But good, oh I am sure.

3-bizcard

That is so true there are so many variations of recipes any way you do it whether with puff pastry or a yeasted dough its going to be good.

Junechamp

In Provence, puff pastry is actually more used for Pissaladière than regular yeast pizza dough. Although either is acceptable, depending upon your preference, I urge you to try it with the puff pastry, either home made or frozen. I think it's miles better. Yes, a completely different effect, but in this case, superior.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet