A question about a recipe: Pissaladière Niçoise

F8e7220e-9455-491f-ae1b-cdcb99f5b006.possaladiere

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Pissaladière Niçoise" from ChefJune. It says:

"FWIW: DuFour's frozen puff pastry (all butter) works just fine if you've neither the time nor the inclination to make even the Rough Puff. ;)"
could you use a regular pizza cust rather than puff pastry or rough puff pastry? i am quite adept at making that dough and don't hae the desire to spend the time and butte for a puff pastry workout

asked by alienor about 4 years ago
2f4926e2-248b-4c22-a6f7-8f2d888b8488.3-bizcard

Maybe Chef June will weigh in on this but i will give you my opinion. Pizza dough and puff pastry dough are so different it would not be the same instead of a pissaladiere it would be more like a pizza. You could certainly try I love pizza but to really re-create this delicious recipe you would need to find puff pastry, dufour's is the very best in my opinion. Do you not have access to it where you live? I know that puff pastry made from scratch is a bit difficult and time consuming.

A64f0bcb-569d-43e7-b4db-4f21866cac44.farmer's_market

I've never done ChefJune's recipe, but pissadaliere is one of my favorite things to make. Store bought puff pastry works fine as a base - and is convenient and delicious - but it's not actually as traditional as a rough or yeasted (pizza/flatbread) dough crust. In Nice and vicinity, it's done that way very often. (Thanks to proximity, historically shifting borders, etc., there's lots of culinary cross-pollination between the South of France and Italy, so it makes sense.) Long story short - absolutely you can go the pizza dough route.

F8c5465c-5952-47d4-9558-8116c099e439.dscn2212

Glad you think so, too amysarah. Will alienor's be the same, or even as the rules go *authentic*? Maybe not. But good, oh I am sure.

That is so true there are so many variations of recipes any way you do it whether with puff pastry or a yeasted dough its going to be good.

4798a9c2-4c90-45e5-a5be-81bcb1f69c5c.junechamp

In Provence, puff pastry is actually more used for Pissaladière than regular yeast pizza dough. Although either is acceptable, depending upon your preference, I urge you to try it with the puff pastry, either home made or frozen. I think it's miles better. Yes, a completely different effect, but in this case, superior.