🔔
🔎

Wine

Can I add to this question--olives and roasted red peppers?! I'm always wondering this myself.

I am not a food scientist, but look at it this way: the vinegar used in the pickling process inhibits bacteria and mold growth, which is further slowed if the pickles are refrigerated. Use the senses: if what are meant to be crispy, brightly colored pickles are mushy and dull, smell odd, or are in a cloudy liquid (or taste funny), then get rid of them. If in doubt, pickles (and olives and roasted peppers) are relatively cheaply replaced.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

keeping them cold & using dry utensils to handle pickles keeps the spoilage at bay in terms of mold & bacteria. At the same time, these are (or were) live cellular organisms. In due course they will macerate in the brine. the cellular structure that helps the pickle retain its shape will disintegrate, reducing the pickle to a pulpy mass. The subsequent release of the intracellular contents will alter the taste. I do not know the time frames within which this occurs other than one bit of data that I gleaned from watching annual batches of baby mangoes being pickled. they'd turn to mush after about 9-10 months of pickling in brine, without refrigeration

Mine haven't yet, and heaven knows I've pushed the envelope. Just last evening I used up the last of a container of mixed French olives I know I got over a year ago and they were so wonderful I was sorry to see the last one go.

Rick's_picks_top_sellers
Rick Field

Rick Field is the founder of the pickle company Rick's Picks.

Davidpdx provides a good answer, and I would add to it by saying that properly sealed and stored pasteurized pickles will remain in good condition under normal refrigeration for up to six months. Barrel-style or fermented pickles which have not been made in the home canning (i.e. pasteurized) style will only retain their optimal structure and flavor for a week or so. Pasteurized pickles are considered acidified foods... foods which have been made stable (as measured by their final pH) by exposure to heat (the boiling water bath) and acid (vinegar in one form or other).

Rick_eg_illustration

Debbykalk-photo

@the professor - I have brined fresh olives and I can assure you - you will know if one or the whole jar is bad.

I think it would be obvious if they do eventually go bad.

Pickes and olives in brine or even olive oil I've kept for many many months. Roasted red peppers that come In a jar will usually start to show mold a month or so after opening. The brine on olives will become a little cloudy and will sometimes have a thicker pool at the top of the brine. I'd say they need to be rinsed and used or tossed out at that point.