What nuts can be substituted for each other in recipes?

I live in Kenya where almonds and hazelnuts are not available, but some of my favorite cakes involve them - sometimes in a central role. Are cashews comparable in oil content to hazelnuts or almonds, or will it cause problems to grind them with sugar or flour?

asked by sabrina0 about 3 years ago
Gator_cake

You may have to do a trial run and see what happens. I'd also look into pistachios if you have them available in place of almonds or hazelnuts.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I second hardlikearmour's vote for a trail run and looking for pistachios. You can also try walnuts, if you can find those. I've lately been really enjoying ground sunflower seeds in my baked goods--they lend a nutty flavor and mimic some of the texture. How about macadamia nuts? Those might work, though I imagine they'd be a little stickier (with fat) than almonds or hazelnuts.

When substituting nuts that serve a mix-in or topping function, most are interchangeable; however it seems you are looking at a nut flour/paste application in which case walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts, and brazil nuts are your best bets; note that they vary in terms of both cost and color of the finished product.