My olive oil turned a little cloudy. Is that bad? I just opened the bottle a week ago. I'll probably throw it out, since now I am paranoid and think it tastes a little off.

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

asked almost 4 years ago

Is it unfiltered olive oil? Then that is natural. Is it in a cool area or cooler than normal in your house? It should clear when it warms a bit, that is normal.

Mrs._larkin_370

Thanks, nutcakes. It says "first cold pressed" on the label. It's Italian. Nothing fancy. It was on the stove all afternoon. Pretty warm in that spot. I put it back in the pantry and I'll check it tomorrow.

If the oil got cold , that may be the reason it is cloudy. If it tastes good, there is no problem. I make an olive oil that sometimes has particles in it. It has never been a problem...I just watch when I get to the bottom of the bottle. (and usually forget and dump that in too!)

First Cold Press doesn't exclude Unfiltered as well. Is it a brand you usually buy and you are sure it was clear and now cloudy? I wouldn't panic and dump. I can't think that something would get in it to turn it, but I like to be careful too. Good idea to check tomorrow. Sometimes your mind can play tricks on your tastebuds.

Olive oil is surprisingly durable although its flavor degrades over time. I once made the error of leaving a bottle of good California stuff in my car trunk overnight when I was parked at a hotel and the temperatures dropped to below freezing. It thawed out okay but it certainly didn't improve on the taste. I think too, that we should introduce a drinking game here, where if anybody says "EVOO" they are required to take a shot of straight extra virgin olive oil.

Dsc_0048b

Can you ask at the store? Perhaps if the think there's something wrong with it they'll replace it for you.

Oh no, please don't throw ; ) My favorite olive oils are unfiltered and the cloudy bottom is nothing to worry about. Of course, if it is filtered, it could be an indication of degradation, but giving it a quick sip to figure that out will not harm you. Does it indicate a harvest date? If it definitely tastes rancid, take it back to the store and ask for a new bottle. It's frustrating when stores sell EVOO (shot!) past their prime. Regardless, putting your EVOO (shot!) on the stove not a good idea. Pierino, starting to feel tipsy.