FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

I want to fry. No, I NEED to fry. What I don't need is anything hydrogenated. Suggestions?

I was thinking Lard but the stuff at my store has been H-bombed (hydrogenated). I admit I have yet to check Whole Foods. Is that something that I can just get from a butcher? If so, do I have to do anything to it before I can use it? Thanks in advance or any guidance!

asked by chl0525 over 3 years ago
Buddhacat

A couple of weeks ago there was another question about lard, and it was highly educational. http://www.food52.com/foodpickle... Please read boulangere and chefjune's responses. You can actually render your own lard, as you will find out. Also included is a reference about the health benefits of lard.

Hussie-icons_chl

Thanks for the link. I knew I had read something somewhere... :)

3-bizcard

Thank you SKK, I was looking for that one I got my lard am working now on testing the recipe and wanted to read what was said about working with lard. Perfect timing!!

Buddhacat

You are both most welcome! I love foodpickle

Wholefoods_user_icon

Spectrum Organic makes a fantastic non hydrogenated shortening that is amazing. Great for baking and frying. Killer fried chicken fingers are my favorite for a fry- up night. Don't forget to make some fried pickles too!

Duck fat.
It makes fantastic fries. It can be difficult to find in quantities.
http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras...

This is a nice source that does mail order. Shipping is a bit pricey but you can boost the order up with some duck leg confit and other items without adding to the base shipping cost.

Just IMHO---I disagree with their storage time on the duck fat. When kept in the 'fridge. Mine was good for months. I also used another storage jar to re-use the fat...adding a few spoon fulls of the 'fresh' fat to fill it out. I thought it got better with use and time.