Store-bought chicken broth: what are your favorite brands? I used to like Swanson, but now everything not homemade tastes too chemical or salty or bland. I like to have a box or two on the shelf, but what kind?

asked by calendargirl almost 4 years ago

When I use non-homemade, it's Swanson in the
box, sodium reduced or Swanson chicken broth.
All if the cans taste too metallic to me.

I use Swanson "Natural Goodness" or Swanson Organic. The NG version is also gluten-free.

Dsc_0048b

I sometimes use boxes of Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken stock and find it OK. The unsalted versions of any of the soups will perk up with a pinch or two of your own salt.

I haven't found one I prefer over Swanson low salt. But sometimes I will by cartons of other brands from the 99 cent store.

Most natural food sections of grocery stores will have a couple different options that have a much shorter and less-threatening ingredient list.

Whatever you think about Wolfgang Puck, the boxed stuff is actually not bad. Progresso is pretty decent. Neither will be 99 cents.

I have bought Wolfgang Puck and Progresso at the 99 cent store, I have some in the pantry now. I have also tried many natural foods brands that you see in the natural food sections. The natural food brands are the worst to me, unfortunately.I can't say I like any better than Swanson, but I don't mind the Puck and the Progresso and I will buy a quart at that price any day.

I also often find Muir Glen, Progresso, Hunt's and other name brand both 14 and 28 oz cans of tomatoes. Not always, but when I see them I try to stock up.

Me

Swanson's is my favorite too, but have been just fine with Progresso. And I usually chop up some celery, 1 or 2 carrots, 1/2 onion, some parsley, black peppercorns and a bay leaf; throw them all into the canned chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes to get a little more flavor into the broth.

L1020855

Try College Inn( play on colagen ,perhaps ??) Rotisserie Chicken Stock. It is very home made tasting. It comes in a cardboard soft box with a pour spout ,closeable tab to store in the frig if any is left .

Desert

At home I have been using Pacific free range chicken broth for about five years and haven't used anything else since. Not sure of the price difference to any of the other brands mentioned. But, if I need more than a Quart, (usually need a gallon) I just buy a fryer and some veg. and make my own.

Hilary_sp1

I use Trader Joe's low salt vegetable stock. I prefer the taste of vegetable stock- I think it has a richer taste and more homemade aroma. My husband and I eat meat minimally- so whenever I can reduce the use of a meat product, I do.

Honestly, it's so easy to make your own stock/broth and the result is so much better than any store brand that I never buy canned broth. In fact, if a recipe calls for broth and I don't have any handy, I'll just use water because the canned broth is so weak and flavorless. But the recipe for chicken stock in the Cook's Illustrated Best Recipes is great and it yields stock or broth in an hour. I save my chicken backs in the freezer and when I get a couple I make stock. Or I just use a whole chicken (minus the breasts). All you do is cut up the chicken in 1/2 in pieces and over a medium heat lightly brown the chicken in batches for about ten minutes. Then throw all the browned chicken in the pot and cook in juices for another ten minutes. Then add water,a whole onion and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Take off the heat and strain. When cool, freeze in tupperware or in ice cube trays.

Cook's Illustrated recently tested chicken broths, and Rachael Ray's came out on top. I have not seen this product in stores in my area, however.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Thank you so much, everyone! You have introduced me to some new ideas (jazzing up boxed broth), a new brand or two to try (Rachael Ray, Wolfgang Puck) and confirmed my resolve to have some homemade broth or stock in the freezer. Love that food52!

Image

Broth_o_fr_ls_chix_lg_2 If I have to buy it I ALWAYS use Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Low Sodium Broth. It has the least amount of sodium.

Making homemade it so much better. If I roast a chicken for dinner I out the carcass in the freezer until I am ready to make the stock. I actually did it yesterday with 3 bodies!! I think I ended up with close to 2 gallons!

hi everyone, please help us out and take 5 mins to answer this simple survey on perdue chicken. thank you!!

https://qtrial.qualtrics...

https://qtrial.qualtrics...

https://qtrial.qualtrics...

https://qtrial.qualtrics...

One way to boost up a canned/box broth is to add 1/3 to 1/2 tsp of unflavored gelatin to a cup.
That gives it richer mouth feel. Not too much tho, you don't want jello shots.

Enriching the canned stock with carrots, celery, onions, herbs for a simmer and strain before using helps also. The low sodium stock is better as mentioned---because they have to use more chicken flavor instead of salt and MSG to get flavor.