Dal

Lentils

Can anyone help me understand what is itli dal and mactte dal (I think, the letters are not entirely clear) ? The first look possibly like small split barley; the second look pretty much the same but yellow. Thank you!

asked by nogaga about 3 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

the yellow one looks like split mung dal (Mung beans, dehusked & split) while the white one is Urad. (matpe) Urad has a wonderful glutinous fluffy texture when ground into a batter & is pretty much the egg substitute for pancakes in Indian cuisine.
If you are looking for recipes to use these.. Be glad to give you pointers!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

The 'itli' probably refers to 'idli' a steamed rice & lentil cake that is a staple south Indian breakfast. (did you get these at a Srilankan grocery store by any chance ??)

Port2

Many thanks! I'll bet you're right about the Idli... I also bough some beaten rice (poha). I bought them at an Indian shop in south Tel Aviv. I kind of went on a kick of buying good-looking pulses I couldn't quite identify ;) Any advice or recipe ideas would be more than welcome!

Lnd_jen

I tested a lovely dish using urad dal for an Editors' Pick: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Poha makes for a great & quick breakfast dish.
You'll need:
1 onion, diced,
1 potato boiled & diced/crumbled,
1 cup poha (rinsed & drained, allow to sit for about 1/2 hr to soften)
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
springs of either dill or cilantro, chopped
1 deseeded serrano chile minced
a pinch of turmeric & salt to taste
1/4 cup roasted peanuts crushed. (either salted or unsalted)
juice of 1 lime or lemon

heat the oil in skillet, when it smokes add the mustard & cumin, give a stir and add the onions & chile. when the onion softens, add the potato, turmeric & salt (undersalt, since there will be a layer from the peanuts later). combine & stir for a 2 minute & then dump the rehydrated poha, mix well so that the spices coat the poha evenly. sprinkle some water, set the flame to lowest setting, cover & cook for about 5-10 minutes. Add the crushed peanuts, chopped cilantro/dill & drizzle with lemon/lime juice before serving.

Scan0004

@Panfusine: do you think the Poha recipe could be made with quinoa flakes? I have a huge supply!
Dal -- search food52, another spelling is Dhal -- they're so good...

Dsc_0122.nef-1

I've never had quinoa flakes, Depending upon how soft or mushy it gets from rinsing, I'd say go ahead. it should taste great.. & thanks for the idea, I'd love to try this out!

Speaking of quinoa, I tried making pancakes with mung and quinoa which turned out great!

Port2

Thank you! The Poha breakfast sounds delicious!