🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: The River Café's Strawberry Sorbet

5862090320_3969de474d_z

I have a question about the recipe "The River Café's Strawberry Sorbet" from Genius Recipes.
Could you do this without an ice cream maker? Fold in meringue to lighten and then freeze? Or would you have to do the almost freeze, stir, almost freeze stir method?

asked by Annelle over 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

The freeze-stir-freeze method should work well -- all the textured bits in there from the unstrained strawberries & lemon should help keep it from freezing into a solid, icy mass.

I haven't tried the meringue trick, but it sounds promising! Please let me know if you try it.

By the way, I've made this recipe with great success in my inexpensive ice cream maker. It's going for $36.70 on Amazon right now: http://amzn.to/mUmFCJ

2-quart_automatic_ice_cream_makers

3-bizcard

You could try this if you don't want to invest in an ice cream maker, btw I have the same one Kristin mentioned and it works just fine and is inexpensive. When I made my recipe for lemon lime campari sorbet although I used my ice cream maker initially you could put in the freezer for a few hours until its slushy, then use your hand mixer and whip for a minute, put back in the freezer for another hour and a half or two whip again with the hand mixer and then one more time about an hour and a half later. It helps yield a light sorbet

Dscf2141

I just did a similar sorbet recipe, and want to try this one. I added a splash of vodka, as I don't have an ice cream maker. Was a little more ice-y, but scopped okay. Might help out on this recipe too.

I am going to try this in my vitamix................let ya know the results :)

I tried it and love it! Tasty and used my sorbet pots

Pict0051

Thank you for all your responses. Now I can report my test results! First of all, the recipe just as it is, is delicious, but without an ice cream machine it is a little 'icy'--still delicious. Adding the egg whites, but still no machine was lighter, but still 'icy'.
Finally, I bought the ice cream maker you suggested (love it!). Adding the egg whites AND using an ice cream machine made a beautiful creamy looking and tasting sorbet without adding the calories of cream. Bottom line: it's a fantastic recipe no matter how you make it! I also froze some popsicles which were a big hit.

Miglore

That is great news! And I'm so impressed you tried it so many ways, too -- thank you for reporting back!