🔔
🔎

Extending hot peppers with salt brine?

I thought I saw a blog post or something in the past month about extending the shelf life of hot peppers (jalapenos?) using a salt brine. It didn't pickle the peppers and they stayed crisp and spicy. I've lost the link. Help?

asked by myzuk over 3 years ago

Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking forward to some information here. Very useful if accurate.

Gator_cake

It's in the May/June issue of Cook's Illustrated: Slice the fresh chiles in half lenghthwise and store submerged in a solution of 1 T salt per cup water in the fridge. Rinse before using and are indistinguishable from fresh raw ones. Stay crisp for several weeks, start to soften at about 1 month, but can still be used in cooked applications for another couple of weeks.

Port2

That's super cool!

Thank you so much! I have been scouring the food blogs I usually read. Sure enough, Cook's Illustrated was it. Didn't even think of that.

i use 1c salt in 2qt water. fill 1gal jar with peppers, add brine. keep peppers submerged with baggie of water for awhile and put in dark cold place. ive kept these for three years with no change in peppers.