🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Please, does anyone have a suggestion? I make a simple curried vegetable stew (Sam Gugino "cooking to Beat the Clock) that's very good, healthy, and easy--but it needs some depth. You saute chunks of sweet potato in a bit of olive oil, add chopped onion, zucchini, and curry powder, then add red pepper and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, add lima beans, green beans, a pinch of saffron, salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover, and cook @ 7 mins, Though it's better the next day, it still lacks something. I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

asked by ellenl about 4 years ago
Jc_profilepic

Lots of grated ginger root and crushed garlic along with the onion. Low-salt soy sauce instead of the salt. I would say some butter or coconut milk but then I might change the olive oil to something less olive-flavored. Or change the oil to canola and add some toasted sesame oil? Lemon or lime juice. I would sneak in a few drops fish sauce unless you want to keep it vegan. Depending on how much sweetness the sweet potato adds I might sneak in some brown sugar. Chopped cilantro at the end of cooking.

Thanks!

Good suggestions, although I wouldn't use soy sauce in this dish. Definitely ginger and garlic. Also some cumin and coriander. If you don't have coconut milk, add some cream.

And many thanks again!

Definitely add some garlic and ginger. Instead of coconut milk or cream you could even try milk instead of the veg stock. The more fat, the more flavour, but coconut milk and cream are both pretty fatty. I'd also use a sunflower oil or other 'plain' oil instead of olive.

Some other thoughts:
add some dried apricots
try using individual spices instead of a store-bought curry powder. cumin, coriander, turmeric and cardamom and a bit of chili are a good place to start. Try adding some amchoor if you have an Indian grocer. It's a dried mango powder that has a nice tang to it.

Thank you!