The watermelons here (all seedless) have very thin rinds; they're quite unsuited for pickles. Do ones w/black seeds have thicker rinds?

I'll try to run down some with seeds, if getting thicker rinds makes it worth the effort. Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 5 years ago

I sure hope they do! Imho seedless watermelons also are relatively flavorless compared to the seeded varieties.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it may help in some way. The recipe leaves some of the pink part of the watermelon in the pickle, so you could potentially use a watermelon with less rind. http://www.portlandmonthlymag...

Wholefoods user icon

That's strange because we (in virginia) have seedless watermelons with some really thick rinds great for pickling! Do you have a good pickling recipe? i'm new to jarring and pickling and tried a simple recipe for making quick and easy pickled watermelon rinds which was okay...not the best. So I'm looking for some good recipes to try out the next time I buy a watermelon. Hope you find a watermelon with a nice thick rind!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

An inch easily. I have one that I plan on slicing tomorrow, and will try to post a picture of the rind for you.
Maybe it's just me but I think that a good watermelon should have a thick rind to protect the good stuff inside, regardless of the fact that you end up with a lot of useless material afterwards.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

AJ, I don't have my grandmother's recipe, but as HLA says, she had some pink in her rind pickles. That said, I think the black seed watermelons do have a thicker rind.

Here is an example. The rind varied between 3/4" to 1". The thickness is overall consistent around the diameter except for a small part that has been lying on the ground during ripening. The black seeds are in the upper two thirds of the slice, so they are not visible here but this is a black seeded variety.

544f2a3f 8ac5 430e a1bb b21318b987cc  wrind3