🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Recipe is telling me to thaw frozen corn and then parboil it. How long should it be boiled?

Some of the corn will then be puréed with cream and eggs to make a custard bas. Then the rest will be stirred in and then everything gets baked at 350 for an hour.

I thought that corn was parboiled *before* being frozen, so parboiling after thawing seems a little odd to me. This is actually a recipe I'm testing for work, so I'm not supposed to deviate from the method.

Any help/insight much appreciated!

asked by AnnaMowry over 3 years ago
Merrill

If you must parboil it, I'd do it for 30 seconds. Like you I don't really see the point of boiling it post-thaw, but 30 seconds shouldn't hurt it.

Burnt_offering

I never do anything to frozen corn other than thaw it. I don't see the need, and it has just a little crunch the way it is. If you're pureeing it and cooking it even more - I say skip it. If you MUST parboil, put it in a colander and just dip it in boiling water for 30 seconds like Merrill said.

I never, ever cook frozen corn. For something like a relish, or a raw salad, I just thaw it in a sieve under cold running water, and add it directly. If it's going into a cooked dish (like pasta or a casserole), I just dump it in frozen and let it thaw in the dish for 5 or so minutes.

Frozen veg (corn, peas, green beans) are blanched before being frozen, so they're essentially "cooked" already. To me, no further real "cooking" is required.

But then, I eat fresh peas and corn and asparagus totally raw, so what the heck do *I* know....