🔔
🔎

What to do with leeks - that isn't soup...

I have 5 beautiful fresh leeks that I want to use for dinner tonight, but I do not want to make a soup. Any suggestions? Vegetarian options are very welcome!

asked by There'sAlwaysPie over 3 years ago
036

The recipes above look great! I like to use them in a warm salad dressing too with - ahem - bacon. Grilled leeks are pretty awesome as well.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

1. Saute the leeks lightly and add them to a simple daal & pair it with plain basmati rice.
2. Substitute the onions with the leeks in Saag paneer. Since the recipe does not call for the onions being browned, soft leeks add a mildly pleasant variation in flavor

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Or caramelize them slowly in plenty of butter, then toss them with cooked pasta, toasted nuts of your choice (walnuts, pinenuts, almonds...) and a generous grating of fresh Parmesan.

Sauteed leeks are excellent in quiche. If you don't want to make the pastry yourself you can cheat and use frozen pie crust.

Junechamp

I agree with Pierino. I love a leek and bacon pie for brunch, for a quick supper, made with Whole Foods organic whole wheat pie crusts.

I cream them along with some fennel. Slice 2 leeks and one fennel bulb sautee in olive oil, add S+P and finish them with some cream at the end.

261418_10150206607997864_742287863_7274773_7241571_n

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Summer_2010_1048

I'll just add that the leek, lemon, and feta quiche above is really delicious!

I saw a rather elegant presentation using leeks as a faux bone marrow plating.
The leeks where hollowed out. A 'marrow' was made with leek bits, onions, and mushroom caramelized to gell like. The leeks 'bone' was par-boiled and stuffed with the carmalized mixture and sauced with a mushroom/sherry reduction sauce.

If I find the pic I'll post here later.

Ah, I should have just googled the words. Leeks Bone Marrow.

http://seattlefoodgeek...