🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Toasted Coconut Gelato

Coconut

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Toasted Coconut Gelato" from NicoleCLang. It says:

"When you are ready to freeze the mixture, strain out the vanilla bean and coconut. Discard. Pour into ice cream maker and follow the instructions for the model, When it reaches the consistency of soft serve add the toasted coconut. Put into a container and freeze until ready to eat."

asked by JuliaAnne over 3 years ago

I don't personally like to make custard based ice creams so I usually just make it with half & half with just a small amount of heavy cream. It won't be as rich and creamy but probably still as tasty. You can substitute agave, honey or any other sweetner for the sugar. Just taste the mix before you put it in the ice cream maker to make sure it's sweet enough. I usually use 1 quart of half & half with 1/4 - 1/2 cup of heavy cream but you can find fat-free half & half if you want it even lighter.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

Thanks for the great suggestions keel! I was wondering the same thing.