🔎

Can I substitute gherkins for pickles in a potato salad?

TiggyBee added over 3 years ago

Absolutely yes, but bear in mind they are sweet.

Canposter
Christina Ward added over 3 years ago

I do it all the time. Gives, as Tiggy points out, a hint of sweetness.

Let me echo tiggybee's "absolutely yes". In fact I would prefer them in a potato salad.

Desert
anyone added over 3 years ago

Gherkin actually refers to the type of cucumber used to make pickled gherkins. They come either sweet or dill commercially. So, if you would like to substitute dill pickles for dill gherkins then yes, if you want to substitute sweet gherkins for dill pickles then one would have to decide if they wanted the sweet flavor over the dill. But, I don't even add pickles to my potato salad. I hope this helps!

rwheat added over 3 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Kay_at_lake
Kayb added over 3 years ago

If you like a pickle straight out of the jar you will like it in your potato salad. I've been known to use chopped sweet gherkins, chopped bread and butter, chopped kosher dills, and pretty much any kind of pickle that comes to hand.

Desert
anyone added over 3 years ago

I love pickles out of the jar but hate em on everything else so I put capers in my potato salad. Just a suggestion.