🔎

Coconut oil in pie crust?

Photo_9
Photo_9
spuntino added over 2 years ago

So sorry guys - I hit Enter preemptively and it automatically posted. (And there's no way to edit!) I'm just wondering if anyone has had success using coconut oil in pie crusts. If so, using the graham cracker method or the flaky pate brisee method. Thanks y'all

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

Yes, using the flaky pate brisee method. Though I'm sure it'd work with graham crackers too--possibly even better. It doesn't work quite the same as butter and your crust won't be as flaky, but keep it cold and cut it in very thoroughly and it'll work well. The main problem I've had with it is that cold coconut oil is hard to cut into the flours (mind you, I'm using gluten-free flours, but it's not that different). Just don't let it get too warm or the crust will be tough, especially if you're using regular APF. Gluten-free flours are more forgiving. Also, large lumps of coconut oil don't work the same way as large lumps of butter. You want to break up the coconut oil lumps till it's really like a coarse cornmeal.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

@Syronai - you are so smart with this! Love your posts.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

@SKK: ah, shucks; I just try a lot of crazy ideas. Your posts are awesome too.