How to make cookies less cake-y

I'm trying to experiment with a cookie recipe that I love - specifically these Zucchini-Lemon Cookies http://www.food52.com/recipes.... They are quite cake-y, and I would like to make them more cookie-like: less puffed, more chew and/or crunch. What is the best way to adjust the ratios of ingredients to get this texture?

asked about 3 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Up the fat, lower the dry ingredients. Play with that relationship. I feel a cookie sandwich coming on ...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Also, reducing the baking time by a minute or 2 often produces a chewier cookie. ;o)

Image

This is sort of an add-on question, but don't you think these particular cookies are going to be pretty cakey no matter what because the zucchini provides so much moisture?

Try decreasing the sugar by 1/4 cup and adding 1/2 cup of light corn syrup. The liquid sweetener helps the cookie maintain its chew by adding moisture.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

For future questions of this nature, reference Shirley Corriher's Bakewise (if you don't have it, get it and put it next to On Food and Cooking). I use it all the time for things like this.