A question about a recipe: The River Café's Strawberry Sorbet

5862090320_3969de474d_z

My ice cream maker arrived -- hooray! But strawberries are no longer in season here. Can I use frozen berries? If so, should they be thawed?

asked by Margaret McCormick about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Congratulations to you and your ice cream maker! I've never tried this recipe with frozen berries, but it would be worth a shot, since they get pureed anyway. I would thaw them completely or almost completely.

Let us know how it turns out!

Gator_cake

I agree with kristen. Definitely give an update if you do, and it works well. It would be great to be able to make later in the summer (or even in the winter if you're so inclined!)

Thanks for your quick reply, Kristen. I plan to make the sorbet this weekend (perfect timing, we're having a heat wave!) and will let you know how it works out.

I've made this and it's quite tasty. If you don't like too much texture in your sorbet, you might want to pass the mixture through a mesh strainer before freezing it.

Ozoz_profile

I would NOT thaw the berries, I would use them from frozen - the texture changes when thawed. I made a raspberry mixture (on the back of this recipe) using frozen raspberries and fresh lemon and it worked perfectly.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Apologies about the spam you just received. We're working on tracking down the spammer.