🔎

• 6

• 1090

A question about a recipe: The River Café's Strawberry Sorbet

My ice cream maker arrived -- hooray! But strawberries are no longer in season here. Can I use frozen berries? If so, should they be thawed?

5862090320_3969de474d_z
Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

Congratulations to you and your ice cream maker! I've never tried this recipe with frozen berries, but it would be worth a shot, since they get pureed anyway. I would thaw them completely or almost completely.

Let us know how it turns out!

Gator_cake

I agree with kristen. Definitely give an update if you do, and it works well. It would be great to be able to make later in the summer (or even in the winter if you're so inclined!)

Margaret McCormick added over 2 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply, Kristen. I plan to make the sorbet this weekend (perfect timing, we're having a heat wave!) and will let you know how it works out.

PIIHA added over 2 years ago

I've made this and it's quite tasty. If you don't like too much texture in your sorbet, you might want to pass the mixture through a mesh strainer before freezing it.

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 2 years ago

I would NOT thaw the berries, I would use them from frozen - the texture changes when thawed. I made a raspberry mixture (on the back of this recipe) using frozen raspberries and fresh lemon and it worked perfectly.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Apologies about the spam you just received. We're working on tracking down the spammer.