🔎

• 10

• 2498

where do the best cherries in the US come from?

comments: just curious!

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

My back yard...

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

My sister-in-laws cherry orchard in Idaho, my cousins cherry orchard on the Flathead Lake in Montana and the cherries in the Yakima Valley in Washington State.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

P.S. I can't speak for the rest of the US because these are the only ones I have tasted. I love cherries.

Profilepic
Rivka added over 2 years ago

Michigan, hands down.

inpatskitchen added over 2 years ago

I'm with Rivka....Michigan...Cherry Festival every year in Traverse City

Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added over 2 years ago

Another vote for Yakima Valley in Washington state - especially when they are just picked and still warm from the sun.

Junechamp

wherever you are that they grow, I think they're the best for YOU. The closer you are to where things grow, the riper they can be picked, and I think that's the trick.

Growing up, I always thought the best tasting fruit was from my aunts' farms in Central Illinois; and we certainly have some really delicious cherries in our Union Square Greenmarket in New York City that grow somewhere nearby -- New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania -- not sure, but freshly picked ripe and yummy.

GiGi26 added over 2 years ago

I have to agree with Ripka and inpatskitchen, Michigan. I bought a quart of black cherries yesterday and before I could do anything with them they had vanished. Could it be the three granddaughters in my kitchen?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Apologies for the spam -- we're working to track it down.

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added over 2 years ago

I agree -- I think that the best cherries are the ones that you can buy locally.

When I lived in New York City, I would buy as many sour cherries as possible during the short season at the Union Square Greenmarket. I would make all sorts of baked cherry desserts -- they were fantastic. But now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I have become addicted to sweet cherries, especially Rainier cherries. They too are amazing -- my family can't eat enough of them.