Can black rice vinegar be substituted for brown rice vinegar in recipes? Also, can either of them be substituted for a regular (white, nearly colorless) rice vinegar, assuming that color is not an issue? Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 4 years ago
Desert

Hi AJ-I love to play with things and experiment by substitution. The whole (what would happen if) is my favorite game in the kitchen. I hope you decide just to try it. In my opinion the only cooking that really involves strict rules is baking. When It comes to vinager I can't imagine any horrible outcomes. Sorry I did not have a direct answer. I just had to say, try it.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, DonnyG! Can you tell that "ethnic" grocery stores are my playgrounds? I go in to get something and then I see all kinds of things on the shelves that I've never seen in a recipe and ask myself, "Hmmm, wonder what this stuff is . .. ." Where I live, the people who run the shops don't speak any English, which makes the whole process even more interesting! Gotta love foodpickle for things like this! I actually bought the black vinegar a few weeks ago, but it's been on my shelf, patiently waiting its turn in the laboratory AKA my kitchen. ;o)

Desert

Were so much alike it's not even funny, actually it is. One of my things of late is ethnic food stores and trying to incorperate different ethnic ingredients into my repertoire. I'm really enjoying it and it sounds like your are as well. For some reason I have always been of the mind that if I want good Indian, chinese or thai food I know where to go and never really feel that I have any business making it for myself. But, I'm trying to break from that mind set as well as fuse those cultures ingredients to my classical theory. Have fun!

I have not heard of brown vinegar-- do you mean malt vinegar? I might sub cider vinegar instead. I have Chinese black vinegar, but when I don't I substitute Balsalmic vinegar, as I was directed to in a cookbook I like. Before subbing one vinegar for another, I check acidity levels to see if the dish is going for a mild or strong flavor. Rice vinegar and black vinegar are mild. White vinegar is strong.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Nutcakes, the stuff I have and use, primarily in Asian dishes, is "brown rice vinegar," which has a nuttier flavor and seems more mellow than regular "rice vinegar." Thanks for the info on subbing balsamic for the Chinese black. And I do like your suggestion about comparing acidity! New data for my cooking diary!! ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

DonnyG, I'm with you on using ingredients cross-culturally -- I'm not creating "fusion" dishes, but using the flavors of condiments, spices, herbs and other supporting ingredients in new ways. ;o)

Scan0004

Suggestion: take tastes, then you can assess the qualities and how they would fit a non-traditional use. Let us knnow your conclusions!