How to cook quinoa?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 3 years ago
Screen_shot_2014-06-23_at_10.39.55_am

Add two cups of water to one cup of quinoa in a pot, and bring to a boil. When water is boiling, turn heat down and simmer with cover on until water is absorbed (~15 minutes). A little butter or salt in the pot goes well too!

Jc_profilepic

I recently cooked quinoa after looking up methods online for fluffy quinoa; I ending up doing the following:
Bring 1-7/8 cups water (thats two cups minus two Tablespoons) water to boil. Add 1 cup dry quinoa and reduce to lowest flame. Cover with lid but allow a vent for steam (tilt lid so its half in half out) and cook for 12 - 15 minutes. It doesn't get mushy this way.
[This is based on http://vegancooking.tribe... which suggests 1-2/3 cups water per 1 cup quinoa and 10-15 minutes cook time.]

Cook in same proportions you would use for long grain rice. And quinoa will indeed cook faster than rice. Although it's been called a "super grain" it's actually a seed, which is why it has that little ring shaped germ.

Buddhacat

What I have learned about cooking quinoa from Martha Rose Shulman is fool proof. Tthe first step is to let it sit in cold water for 5 minutes , then drain through a strainer and rinse until the water is clear. Then toast the quinoa in a pan over medium high heat until the grains have separated and begin to smell fragrant. Then add the warm water or stock and salt - it will boil quickly - reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender and displays a thread. Drain it, return to the pan, cover with a clean dish towel replace the lid and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. It is always perfect and never mushy.

Dsc_0048b

I like Martha Rose Schulman's method too, but even easier is to cook it like pasta. After rinsing, put it in the pan with water to cover by an inch or two and simmer for about 10 or 12 minutes or until the little ring (endosperm?)appears. Then drain and use.

I find the 'box specification' a bit shy on moisture. The soaking is a good idea.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet