🔎

Why do they say never to melt butter in the microwave?

Ozoz_profile
Monkeys
monkeymom added over 3 years ago

I think it is because butter has a tendency to melt unevenly in the microwave. The parts that heat up faster will splatter and cause a big mess or worse yet, scald you when you try to remove it form the microwave.

Image

If I need to melt butter in the microwave, I do it on very low power and check it every 15-30 seconds and stir. I think monkemom is right. I learned this the hard way.

Photo
SMSF added about 1 year ago

Be sure to cover the dish/bowl with wax paper before microwaving - no spills, spatters, or scalding. And I agree with Barbara, use very low power and keep your eye on it.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 1 year ago

I don't know who "they" are but that's nonsense. Melting butter in the MW is a daily procedure in my kitchen. It's true it will quickly boil over but a lot of liquids will behave that way (ditto on a burner).

P1291120
SeaJambon added about 1 year ago

If you're careful and use low settings, you'll be fine. If not, you may burn the whey in the butter. Because of how hot microwaves can heat (and how quickly they can get there), if you weren't careful, you could have some unmelted and some burned all at the same time. I also have been known to melt butter in the microwave and do so using the "defrost" setting rather than a cooking setting.

...and be careful about "softening" yogurt in the microwave.