Ground flax seed - how long will it keep in the freezer?

I use my vita-mix dry container and grind my own flax seed and freeze it and take out what I need. I found a container in the freezer that I forgot about which is about six months old. How long do you think it will keep?

asked by SKK about 3 years ago
Scan0004

I keep my home ground flax in the freezer too. I make enough for a week or two and have always found that it keeps well. According to the authorities (check http://www.ehow.com/how_8101806_keep...) you're over the limit, but I would test them -- smell should be the typical faintly nutty whiff, taste should have no bitterness or bite. While you really do want to avoid rancidity, you may have perfectly fine flax powder --- or you may want to compost and forget.

Flower-bee

SKK, from what I have read, for optimum health benefits flax seed is best ground in small amounts and consumed soon after, while storing in a light protective container. Otherwise you loose the good stuff exponentially. While I doubt yours would have gone rancid since they have been in teh freezer, they would not be giving you what they should be giving you. Otherwise they would probably be fine if you use them as a substitute for eggs in baking, for example.

Buddhacat

@susan g, thanks for the answer. I was hoping you would respond because your answers have been very useful and I especially appreciate your background. Went and checked Mayo Clinic and some other flax seed sites. Mayo said "stored refrigerated for 3 months." Then I did the taste test with my frozen ground flax (let warm up) and freshly ground flax. They tasted the same. So that is my science experiment for the day.

Scan0004

Now what we need is a chemical analysis of both samples! When I think about this question, as long as the meal is not rancid, the issue is -- why are we using it? For me it's the fiber and lignans, and the essential fatty acids that are important. I don't think the fibers would be affected, and the EFA's may be reduced but still of value. Mineral content should be constant, I believe. Vitamins would be the most likely to be affected but that shouldn't be too much of a loss -- we're eating good food, right?